Microsoft has released there research OS under there Academic License. I’ve really waited for this a long time and I’m going to play around with it. Well it’s not open source, but at least you can test is it and look at the code.
Singularity is a research Operation-System created by Microsoft to explore how a OS would look like, if you start from scratch. It focus on reliability, stability and safety. Its (nearly) entirely written in type-safe, modified version of C#.
To learn more about Singularity, watch the Channel-9 videos (in order):
- Singularity: A research OS written in C# on Channel 9
- Singularity Revisited on Channel 9
- Singularity III: Revenge of the SIP on Channel 9
- Singularity IV: Return of the UI on Channel 9
Or read the papers on the research site:
For the opensource geeks. There is JX-OS (GPL-Licence) written in Java, which follows similar designs and goals. Sadly, it wasn’t updated for years:
- There’s also SharpOS and CosmOS, but I don’t know there designs and there state.
- Guild Wars Addiction
- The Wire Season 1-3